Retired Bishop Emeritus
Most Rev. Sam G. Jacobs
Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux
P.O. Box 505
Schriever, LA 70395
- Born in Greenwood, MS, on March 4, 1938, Bishop Sam G. Jacobs was reared in Lake Charles, LA.
- He studied at Immaculata Seminary in Lafayette from 1951-57 and Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., from 1957-64.
- He was ordained to the priesthood for the Diocese of Lafayette by Auxiliary Bishop Warren L. Boudreaux in 1964.
- Bishop Jacobs served as pastor, chaplain and associate pastor of several parishes in the Diocese of Lafayette and the Diocese of Lake Charles.
- He has served as chairman of the National Service Committee for the Charismatic Renewal and diocesan director of Vocations and Seminarians for the Diocese of Lake Charles.
- He formerly served as a Board member for Cross Catholic Outreach and is now an Advisor.
- Bishop Jacobs was appointed the 10th Bishop of Alexandria in 1989 and was ordained by Archbishop Francis B. Schulte and co-consecrators Bishop Warren L. Boudreaux and Bishop Jude Speyrer.
- Bishop Jacobs was installed as the Third Bishop of Houma-Thibodaux on Oct. 10, 2003.
- On Oct. 30, 2013, Bishop Jacobs formally retired, and is now Bishop Emeritus of Houma-Thibodaux.
- In 2014, Bishop Jacobs celebrated two significant anniversaries, 50 years of priesthood on June 6 and 25 years of episcopacy (bishop) on August 24.